Friday, July 21, 2006

Er, yes... about those strippies...

I know I said I wasn't going to be posting anymore strippies for a while, but I found out that friends of our had a baby boy, and it really was a strippie situation, if you know what I mean.








Five different fabrics again, which works out well with 11 strips each cut 5" wide, because you get the first, middle, and final strip in the same fabric. The final dimension is just under 39" by just over 49". Big enough to make the transition to being a toddler's cuddling quilt.

I meander-quilted along each seam. It's my most successful attempt at that yet, but still I don't feel extremely confident about it. Practice, practice, practice.


















You know how some colours are just more difficult to work with than others? That lighter turquoise was one of those fabrics that sat in my stash for ages and ages. I bought a metre of it because it looked like a good semi-solid, and it was on sale, but once I got it home it eluded every attempt I made to use it.


















But I got this Fossil Fern "Bluebells" in the mail, and the colours weren't what I was expecting. Guess what! Somehow, it brought all these fabrics together for me, and away I went. The darkest blue, which I had oceans of, is final whittled away down to just a few scraps, and the same for the turquoise.














Just the hand-stitching left on the binding now, and it can go North to G.P. We're stopping at a lake today after we look at some houses, so I'll bring a lawnchair and a needle and thread and maybe I'll get that finished while the kids swim.



5 Comments:

Blogger Shelina said...

I really like blue quilts, they are so calm and soothing, and this one is lovely. There is interesting stuff to look at in the fabric, just enough to nod off and take a nap.

3:37 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

Those look like fish. Beautiful.

8:31 PM  
Blogger Janice Seagraves said...

Lovely!

What a beautiful quicky quilt, I'm sure the parents will be delighted with your thoughtfulness.

Janice~

12:23 AM  
Blogger jill said...

I love your strippie quilts. I am thinking I'll borrow the idea when I start the next box of charity quilts so I can accomplish a lot in a short time.

Just remember, no one but you knows about the mistakes or how you feel you need to practice and a baby surely won't care! The "mistakes" are what make our works true art. ;o)

8:19 PM  
Blogger JBlue said...

Very pretty. Again, those are my colors!

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home