Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Whimsical Placemats

















I made these placemats without templates or a premeditated design. It was completely off the cuff, using bowls for my circles and sewing the "straight" lines by eye. I had a lot of fun with this project, and I'll probably make an entire quilt this way not to far in the future.


I recycled and tea-dyed an old sheet for the backing, which worked alright until I went to hand-stitch the bindings on, and discovered that the thread-count was so high that it made it very difficult to push the needle through. Live and learn. Used flannel for the centre bat.

Another note for future - placemats need a lot of quilting, so they don't "pull apart" in their layers with wash and use.

These two emigrated to "South America". ;-)

4 Comments:

Blogger Shelina said...

I really like these placemats. It is always fun to create your own designs, isn't it?

4:25 PM  
Blogger Madcap said...

Yes! It was a real exercise in freedom.

6:10 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

...and I really like them too!

4:12 PM  
Blogger Madcap said...

;-)

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home