Thursday, July 06, 2006

Log Cabin Baby Quilt

My first Log Cabin, other than an apron bib in Grade 7 and a couple of pot-holders. I was surprised by how time-consuming the piecing was, but I really like the depth that many colours and shades give it. About 40"X50", the usual baby-quilt size I make. I used some of the wine-red flannel from the backing in the blocks. I hope it's standing up to use alright. Black centres. The white floral in that fabric was too stark, so I tea-dyed it. I believe I used the black as the binding, too. This picture was taken before the binding went on.

It was another commissioned quilt. The recipient was a Native lady who had a baby girl, and she is particularly fond of the reds and blacks and natural colours that are most common in Native art. They aren't colours I would normally use, but that's what I like about requests. They push me outside of myself and force me into a more creative space.














Mustn't forget - don't meander-quilt diagonal sections without very secure basting all over. I should have hand-basted this one, because I quilted some ridges into the back, which was quite a disappointment after all that work. Still, I like it a lot. Maybe I'll make one for us one day.


Yeah, right, I always say that!

Wait - now that I see the first picture enlarged, I can say for sure that I did use the same fabric on the binding as I did for the centres. Oooh, deadly memory!

3 Comments:

Blogger JBlue said...

They're all so beautiful. I enjoyed all of them. I really love that Double Irish Chain, I think. It would be hard to pick a favorite, though.

This is an excellent idea, this blog. I do enjoy looking at those quilts.

6:38 AM  
Blogger grannyfiddler said...

mama says baby's eyes light up when she sees her quilt. i think she loves the colors too.

10:05 AM  
Blogger Madcap said...

Thanks, Jublu. I'm glad you're feasting your eyes. Personally, I like my quilts so much better after not seeing them for a while. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, it's true!

GF - Yer warmin' me cockles.

8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home