Saturday, July 08, 2006

Found Quilt

I love the ridges in this photo. And the natural light, of course, which is ever so much kinder to fabric than the flash.

I made this top and put it away and completely forgot that I had it. Nice surprise when I was rooting through the bins looking for something else!

The pattern is created by lights and darks. Each block is made by placing two squares together, one light, one dark, faces together. Draw a diagonal line on one, pin securely, and sew a 1/4" seam on each side of it. Unpin, and cut along the drawn line. Twala! You've got a block of two triangles, without ever sewing a seam on the bias edge. With this block you can play and come up with several different arrangements. I'm pretty keen on this diamond set-up, and on pinwheel blocks.

Another quilt that went up north. This lady had a baby this spring, and her husband was killed a couple months later in a car accident. Tough row to hoe.

I made another quilt like this that I gave to my neighbour when she had a baby a couple years ago. It was all in blues, light and dark, and it really turned out nicely. I think I prefer it all in one colour family.















5 Comments:

Blogger Shelina said...

The last quilt I finished used this exact block, and same pattern, even though, like you, I made it up myself. I used pastels, and they didn't have as much contrast as yours, so they have a more blended look.
I really like your color choices.

5:36 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

The FIRST quilts I made used this half square triangle design see:
http://www.serendipitypatchwork.com.au/Cotquilts/Maia/index.html

10:24 PM  
Blogger ~Lori said...

Your quilts are lovely! This one makes me think of a pirate's treasure chest.

6:55 AM  
Blogger Madcap said...

Thanks!

8:11 AM  
Blogger Alice (in BC Canada) said...

Madcap, I must admit that your instructions are as clear as mud to me. I don't have a clue what you mean half the time... lol. What I do know, however, is that all these quilts are really incredible!!! I love the colors on this one... bright, varied and beautiful.

12:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home