Monday, July 03, 2006

Pinwheels

This is a quilt I finished this spring (I think, help me Grannyfiddler) as a consignment. The young lady who recieved it on behalf of her baby girl has a twin sister, and the twin sister is expecting a baby boy this fall. Another quilt is in the works. I haven't quite sorted out patterns and colours for that project yet.

I think I have a scrap of paper somewhere with the dimensions of the pieces and blocks. This quilt was made from my own design, pinwheels alternating with a cobblestone block. I like how the negative spaces form a twirling star or modified pinwheel design of their own.

Oh! That's where that piece of mauve flannel went! Now I remember. I used it as a backing, and used it to piece a couple of the blocks, too. Seek and ye shall find. I guess I don't need to be rooting around in my bins for that one anymore, huh?

Update - okay, I found that piece of paper.

Pinwheel squares were cut 5.5", laid on top of each other, sewed diagonally and cut, etc.. Finished block was 9 3/4".

Alternate block - centre square was cut 3.5", surrounding strips 3 3/4". Trimmed block to 9 3/4".

Triangles for sides were 10" blocks cut on the diagonal.

3 Comments:

Blogger grannyfiddler said...

yup, early spring.

9:49 AM  
Blogger ~Lori said...

I LOVE this quilt. Wonderful combination of blocks, and I love the colors too. (wiping drool from chin)

6:52 AM  
Blogger Madcap said...

It was sure an easy one, Lori, and I was very happy with how it turned out. Maybe I should make her sister's quilt with the same pattern in different colours. I wonder if that would be too "twinny"?

8:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home