Monday, September 18, 2006

Stipplification














I've put the top together, decided on the pinwheel arrangement for the centres of the stars, and have put a serious dent in the quilting. I need to have this quilt done by Saturday night! It's going up north with my friend who'll be visiting on the weekend.

This post is mostly to register my astonishment at my stipple-quilting. !!!!! It's so much easier than it was even on the last project! Now I've got to decide whether or not I really like it. Wherever you use stippling, the quilt becomes a fair amount stiffer, but maybe that would ease off after it's been through the final wash. I'm mixing it up a bit; stipple quilting in the navy blue pieces and stitch-in-the-ditch and outline quilting on the triangles. Since there's quite a lot of the blue, it's all rather labour-intensive, but I'm chalking it up to practice.

Thread intensive, too. Wowzers. I'm finding the navy thread on the navy fabric is almost invisible, which is fine in the end, but bloody difficult while I'm doing the actual work. Where have I been? Where should I be going? Now that I'm more confident with this particular skill, I'm going to start using threads that are slightly different than the fabric I'm working on, for my eyes' sake.

4 Comments:

Blogger jenclair said...

You have certainly got the stippling down pat! Looks great! It is thread and labor intensive, isn't it? And time-consuming, as well. I'm impressed with all the labor, thread, and time that has gone into this.

6:49 AM  
Blogger Shelina said...

That is incredibly good stippling. If you don't like it to be so stiff, next time you can stipple looser - farther away from each other. When I started I found that I was stippling way too closely / densely, and even now I have to keep telling myself to not stipple so close.

12:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't stippling fun? Just seeing what you have done has me itching for quilting time NOW rather than later. Lovely work.

Try moving a flexible neck desk lamp close to the machine and see if that helps you see the threads any better. My sewing spot is dark despite the two huge picture windows so I always have an extra small lamp handy.

4:01 PM  
Blogger Debbie said...

You have the gift of stippling. I have stipple envy.

10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home